Thursday, February 7, 2013

$$Show Me the Money$$

We've been doing the Financial Peace University by Dave Ramsey at my church.  It's a great class and if you do not know of one being offered in your area you can visit their website and find one.  In our area, there are 13 going on. I am definitely not a budget girl but it's been eye opening how much money you can actually come out with if you follow some key steps.  When I started making my budget I texted a friend and said this is soo depressing!  Now I see how little money I actually have!  But in reality, I don't think it will be that bad if you decide in your mind how you are going to spend your money.  Dave says every dollar has a name.  If you go through your monthly income and allot a certain amount for each area you have, then you will build in a little cushion for some 'extras' or paying off some debt, etc.  The good news...I think I will still be able to buy shoes!  This might not be so bad after all ;)
One of his famous quotes is "Live now like no one else so later you can live like no one else", meaning you will be able to really LIVE and not worry about your finances or be stressed about how you are going to cover each and every little thing. He also said several times "The borrower is slave to the lender" and that one definitely makes a lot of sense and is very true!

 I'm a diet coke addict and one small change I've made is to buy 12 oz. bottles at the grocery store and keep in the fridge instead of stopping at a fast food restaurant and getting one for $1.  I've saved $4.12 for 2 weeks by doing this.  Obviously this is a small, silly example but for me it's been about awareness and just little things you could do to save some $$ here and there. 

In the end..this could be you! (and hopefully me too!  ha)


3 comments:

  1. I am loving the class, and I wish I would've done it many years ago. We've been wondering where our money goes for years, and now we are going to tell it where to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another great quote! "telling it where to go!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have tracked every dime for the last 11 years. I kept a notebook. It works. Laura

    ReplyDelete